Anna concentrates her practice on issues arising under trademark, unfair competition, domain name, and copyright law. Her experience in these fields of law includes counseling, prosecution and registration of applications before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and the U.S. Copyright Office, internet, licensing, enforcement, oppositions and cancellations. Anna also counsels clients in protecting their trademark portfolios worldwide.
Anna is active in a number of professional organizations. She has held a leadership role with the Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago (IPLAC) and is an active member of the International Trademark Association (INTA) and the Trademark Relations with the USPTO Committee of American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA).
Anna is a frequent lecturer in continuing legal education programs, including teaching the Ex Parte Appeals session for the AIPLA Trademark Bootcamp. She has written several articles for such organizations as INTA, Practicing Law Institute (PLI), and The Bureau of National Affairs as well as World Trademark Review. A complete list of these articles can be seen below.
Anna has been recognized as a “Trade mark star” in Managing Intellectual Property’s “IP Stars” and recognized in World Trademark Review 1000’s list of “World’s Leading Trademark Professionals.”
Anna was awarded her J.D. degree from Indiana University School of Law-Bloomington. There she was involved in the Intellectual Property Association, Sports & Entertainment Law Society and Sherman Minton Moot Court. Anna earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Anthropology, cum laude, from Connecticut College.
Anna is admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of Illinois and the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
- The Hidden Persuader: Sound Marks as Sonic Indicators of Source (Landslide) (September/October 2017)
- The Supreme Court Points Courts to Juries on Issue of Trademark Tacking (Banner & Witcoff IP Alert) (February 2015)
- Aesthetic Functionality in the TTAB Since Louboutin (Banner & Witcoff IP Update) (April 2014)
- Be prepared: The importance of due diligence in choosing between bench and jury trials, (World Trademark Review) (April/May 2013)
- Brand Locally, Think Globally: International Trademark Searching & Filing Strategies, (Practicing Law Institute’s Understanding Trademark Law) (June 2011)
- Where to Start?: Understanding Trademark Searching and Filing in a Global Marketplace (Practicing Law Institute’s Understanding Trademark Law) (June 2010)
- Caution: Do Not Outsource Your Ethical Obligations!, Outsourcing and Ethical Issues (Int’l Trademark Ass’n Annual Meeting, Boston, MA) (May 2010)
- Global Harmonization of Trademark Laws: Not Quite There Yet, 74 BNA PTCJ 77 (2007)
B.A., Anthropology, Cum Laude
- Supreme Court of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Named an “IP Star” by Managing Intellectual Property, 2021
- Recognized as a leading trademark practitioner, World Trademark Review 1000, 2021